AnkhSVN-users Ankh 2.0
Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
2008-05-14 13:58:20 UTC
Hello,

I just stumbled upon the Ankh 2.0 roadmap, and noticed that SCC
compliance was added. I have two questions about that.

1. Does this mean the *.csproj files will now get "SCC" elements
embedded in them, and other extra files will be deposited in the
project?

2. If so, can we choose not to use SCC "mode"?

--
David Bicking

confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
destroy all copies.
Sander Rijken
2008-05-14 14:35:54 UTC
Post by Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
Hello,
I just stumbled upon the Ankh 2.0 roadmap, and noticed that SCC
compliance was added. I have two questions about that.
1. Does this mean the *.csproj files will now get "SCC" elements
embedded in them, and other extra files will be deposited in the
project?
The solution file gets an Scc section, that's ignored when Ankh is not
installed. See:
http://ankhsvn.open.collab.net/source/browse/ankhsvn/trunk/src/AnkhSvn.2008.sln?revision=4043&view=markup

Section is:
GlobalSection(SubversionScc) = preSolution
Svn-Managed = True
Manager = AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio
EndGlobalSection
No extra files will be added to the project (in fact you'll even loose
the Ankh.Load file)
Post by Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
2. If so, can we choose not to use SCC "mode"?
We're investigating if this is possible or not, but currently, no.
What's the problem you're seeing with the above solution section?
Post by Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
--
David Bicking
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or
distribution is
Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
2008-05-14 16:02:07 UTC
Sander,

Thanks for the reply. My problem with it is from a "purist" point of
view. When I convert projects from VSS to SVN, I often forget to remove
the SCC sections that are embedded in each project (and files included
in each directory), plus the large section stored in the solution. This
results in Visual Studio squawking about "gee, it looks like you're
using source control, but I can't find it" until I seek out and destroy
all such references.

I really liked the fact that Ankh didn't add any cruft directly into
project files (Separation of concerns, orthognality, etc.) because I
don't have to worry any more. Also, when I "svn export" the project and
use it elsewhere, I don't have any extra useless cruft lying around, per
my problem described above.

One more question - All the SCC plugins I've seen so far do not show
"changed" icons at folders that have changes in some file beneath that
folder (or project). Is this going to be a new "feature" of Ankh? The
fact that we could see at summary level which projects in a solution
were modified was one of the selling points of this tool.

--
David

________________________________

On May 14, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
wrote:

[...]

*
for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain
proprietary,
confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the intended
recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination
or distribution is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify
the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this
communication and
destroy all copies.

For additional commands, e-mail:
users-help-br+***@public.gmane.org
Sander Rijken
2008-05-14 18:22:24 UTC
Post by Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
Sander,
Thanks for the reply. My problem with it is from a "purist" point
of view. When I convert projects from VSS to SVN, I often forget to
remove the SCC sections that are embedded in each project (and files
included in each directory), plus the large section stored in the
solution. This results in Visual Studio squawking about "gee, it
looks like you're using source control, but I can't find it" until I
seek out and destroy all such references.
I think Ankh reacts pretty nicely if the section is found, but the
solution is not in a working copy. The only thing that will (or
should, we haven't tested this fully at the moment) happen is that
Ankh gets loaded.
Post by Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
I really liked the fact that Ankh didn't add any cruft directly into
project files (Separation of concerns, orthognality, etc.) because I
don't have to worry any more. Also, when I "svn export" the project
and use it elsewhere, I don't have any extra useless cruft lying
around, per my problem described above.
Agreed, in that case it would be better if that section wasn't there.
Post by Bicking, David (HHoldings, IT)
One more question - All the SCC plugins I've seen so far do not show
"changed" icons at folders that have changes in some file beneath
that folder (or project). Is this going to be a new "feature" of
Ankh? The fact that we could see at summary level which projects in
a solution were modified was one of the selling points of this tool.
Both these issues are performance related. AnkhSVN versions before 2.0
were very slow on medium sized and large solutions. The Scc API
provided by Visual Studio dictates implementations of it to be as lazy
as possible. This means that Ankh only gets loaded when needed (a
command is called or an Scc section is found), and that status icons
don't bubble up.
Instead of this we added a Pending Changes window that indicates which
files are modified, and in what project they belong to.
--
Sander